Prospects Thread 2014-15

Talk about your favorite prospects and the happenings of the Canucks AHL affiliate, the Abbotsford Canucks.

Moderator: Referees

lostinarink
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Prospects Thread 2014-15

Post by lostinarink »

Rayxor wrote:
lostinarink wrote: My list includes all players born in the 90's. (Plus Conacher cause he missed the 90's by only 2 weeks)

I know that some of these may sound crazy but here we go:

750 game list
Horvat
Virtanen
Cassels

Etc...
If anything, some of these are seriously lowballing. Cassels playing 750 game would be great as he wasnt a high pick or projected to be a big scorer.

Horvat and Virtanen only playing 750 games would be a disappointment, as would Kassian at 500 (he alreaedy has 198). Even underachieving high draft picks will hit that range. Compare these 1st round big forwards from the 90s. (also remember that they lost a full season in their prime years).

#3 Chris Gratton 1092 games
#6 Rob Neidermeyer 1153 games
3rd Radek Bonk 969 game
14th Ethan moreau 928 games
17th Wayne Primeau 774 games

4th Chad Kilger 714 games

6th Boyd Devereaux 627 games

None of these guys were superstars, but even a journeyman can get 700 games.

To think that our best forward prospects will fall short of being the next Taylor Pyatt (8th, 1999, 859 games) does not inspire confidence.
I would expect that Horvat, for example, would exceed 1000 games. Heck with a 20 year career, he could exceed 1500, however, I simply chose not the go that high.

Why only 500-750 for Kassian - because I expect that he will continue to have injury problems thus missing many games and retiring early.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

lostinarink wrote: I would expect that Horvat, for example, would exceed 1000 games. Heck with a 20 year career, he could exceed 1500, however, I simply chose not the go that high.

Why only 500-750 for Kassian - because I expect that he will continue to have injury problems thus missing many games and retiring early.
It's an interesting take on assessing potential, but like any single factor assessment, it works to a point then loses its usefulness.

A guy with 100-200 game potential is obviously a borderline player. At his best he's a bottom pairing or 4th line player, and a common healthy scratch.

High game totals can't tell that much of a story. a healthy mediocre players can hit 1000 games. An interesting comparison is Scott Neidermeyer and Darryl Sydor. Same junior team and one draft year apart. Both played around 1200 games but one reached or exceeded his potential while the other fell somewhat short of it.

I think it does make sense when discussing later round picks or undrafted signings, but only when they have left junior or college and are in the system.
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

At the Memorial Cup, Cassels was impressive at the dot today, + collected two more assists (against the Remparts).
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Virtanen and McCann named to Canada's WJC summer camp roster.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

McNally is officially signed on a two year ELC with San Jose

I had high hopes for this player - and have no confidence Benning made the right move here.

Sharks Sign Defenceman Patrick McNally

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Wilson had to sign McNally or else admit that he gave away a 7th rounder to mollify Benning after leaving him hanging over the Bieksa deal. Given the kid's history since he was drafted, you could argue that his development has been stunted - he's never garnered the same attention as someone like Hutton. If Benning is taking a risk, I'd say it's a pretty reasonable one. We'll see if he's right.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

By Tyson Giuriato

New faces and some familiar names highlight the 2015 Vancouver Canucks Prospects Development Camp which gets underway on Friday in Shawnigan Lake.
Players will be put through on-ice workouts, off-ice workouts, team building exercises as well as a trip on the ferry and the annual Grouse Grind.

We have broken the roster down, analyzed all the data and this is what we found:

-Twenty-nine players will be attending camp: 12 forwards, 12 defenceman and five goaltenders.

-Of the 29 players scheduled to attend, 18 are either drafted or signed by the Canucks.

-All seven players from the 2015 draft class will attend.

-This will be the fourth time Ben Hutton and Evan McEneny have attended a Canucks Prospects Development Camp.

-This will be the third time around for Cole Cassels, Anton Cederholm and Jordan Subban.

-Twelve players on the roster also attended last year, including invitees Curtis Valk and Jackson Whistle.

-Three players (Hutton, Valk and Jake Virtanen) saw game action with the Utica Comets at some point last season.

-Goaltender Thatcher Demko will attend but not take part in any on-ice sessions.

-Five countries are represented as players hail from Canada (19), United States (8), Czech Republic (1), Russia (1), and Sweden (1).

-Nine players measure at 6-foot-3 or taller, the tallest being goaltending invitee John McLean, who stands at 6-foot-9. Yup, you read that right…6-foot-9. Think Zdeno Chara in goalie gear.

-Nine players tip the scale at over 200 pounds, the heaviest being 216-pound Mackenze Stewart.

-Invitee Justin Lemcke played the past two seasons with Jordan Subban on the Belleville Bulls. The 6-foot-3 blueliner was ranked 137th by Central Scouting for the 2015 NHL Draft.

-Invitee Reid Gardiner played the past two seasons with Mackenze Stewart on the Prince Albert Raiders. The 5-foot-11 forward was ranked 162nd by Central Scouting for the 2015 NHL Draft.

-Invitee John Stevens is the son of former Philadelphia Flyers head coach and current Los Angeles Kings assistant coach, John Stevens.

-Invitee Jackson Whistle, who played one game in goal for the Canucks at the 2014 Young Stars Tournament, is coming off a WHL Championship season with the Kelowna Rockets.

A 6'9" goalie. Wow.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Sounds like the Prospects camp will feature bigger players than the main camp. lol
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Hockey Widow wrote: A 6'9" goalie. Wow.
did you overlook his weight or is he actually under 215 pounds?
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Rayxor wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: A 6'9" goalie. Wow.
did you overlook his weight or is he actually under 215 pounds?
He's listed at 210 on hockeydb, but that's typical for goalies. Miller is 6'2" and 168lbs, even Ben Bishop is 6'7" and only 217 and he has 3 years on this giant of a tender.

Could you imagine how hard it would be on your joints if you were Chara weight (256) and a 6'9" goalie!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:Could you imagine how hard it would be on your joints if you were Chara weight (256) and a 6'9" goalie!
call an ambulance

Aaron my knees hurt just reading that.

Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Aaronp18 wrote: He's listed at 210 on hockeydb, but that's typical for goalies. Miller is 6'2" and 168lbs, even Ben Bishop is 6'7" and only 217 and he has 3 years on this giant of a tender.
I guess i'm showing my age when im thinking that the equipment would be hard to lug around on these beanpoles. lightweight equipment and better conditioning has allowed the game to (over)value these spider monkeys.

[cue nostalgic music]

I remember when goalies were the shrimps on the team. 5-8 to 5-10 was pretty standard. The odd goalie who was 6' or over was going to be 200+ pounds. Dryden was a freak of nature at 6-4. Hextall and Barrasso actually looked thin for their height.

Would a guy like Beezer or Pelle Lindburgh even get draft these days?

Is it not surprising that Tim Thomas at 5-11, 200 pounds had to wait so long to get a chance to play in the NHL?

How long until hockey agents are going to head into the US inner city basketball courts looking for the lanky kid who gets muscled out for rebounds but can't hit a 3 pointer?
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It stemmed from the days of the short fat slow uncoordinated kid always being picked to play goal because at least they could cover some space if nothing else.

In Doc's day, a kid like Kessel would have grown up playing goal.

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:It stemmed from the days of the short fat slow uncoordinated kid always being picked to play goal because at least they could cover some space if nothing else.

In Doc's day, a kid like Kessel would have grown up playing goal.
This is what we would have done to Kessel:

(that's Clam in the pic)

That said, I really hope Kessel hits 50 with Sid + Geno just to further pulverize the hearts of Leafers. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cassels has yet to take to the ice in prospects camp. Apparently he played the second half the season and the playoffs with an abdominal injury. Talk about gutting it out :mrgreen:

they are hoping rest will allow him to heal without surgery. In any event, it's hard to see him being ready to make the main team out of camp. If he does heal without surgery he'll be Utica bound, with surgery he will be Utica bound in January.
The only HW the Canucks need