Friday, April 18th, 2014

The Last Fight: An Open Letter To Rick Rypien

Dear Rick:

Last time I wrote you an open letter, it was because of your outburst on a fan in Minnesota. The last time I wrote about you in a blog, it was when you took some personal time to yourself to deal with personal matters. I meant every word I wrote in those to entries and I mean every word I write to you now. I cannot pretend to imagine what you went through in your day to day life.  I cannot pretend to know what your struggles really were on a personal level, so I won’t.

I write this to you, as someone who watched from the stands and on TV. I was… no strike that, I am a fan of Rick Rypien.

When I heard the news yesterday afternoon of your passing, I was immediately saddened. Although you became a Jet in the off-season, to me you’re always going to be a Canuck. In fact, you were my favourite tough guy to ever don the jersey. That puts you up there with the likes of Gino Odjick, Kurt Fraser and Brad May.  You never backed down from a challenge on the ice, no matter at what disadvantage you were facing.  Many of us fans admired that about you. Not many would have taken on the likes of guys like Hal Gill giving up the size and weight, but you did, without hesitation.

I just wanted to thank you for the memories. You were an exciting player to watch and I rooted for you from the get-go. You inspired many out there: Undrafted, moderately talented, but boy did you ever have heart. That alone gave you a reputation in the NHL. You thrilled fans in Regina, Winnipeg, Vancouver and around the NHL. A pit-bull or a wolverine. The ultimate underdog fighter, but you sure showed them on the ice. Truly inspiring.

I hope you find the peace in the afterlife that you were looking for in this life. I hope you keep fighting the good fight where ever you are, because I don’t expect any less.

This year, I hope your friends and former teammates can “Win one for the Ripper”.

You were our champion, our Rocky Balboa, and now we say goodbye, and thank you. Goodbye Rick, we will all miss you. My condolences to your family and friends. God speed.

Justine Galo

Comments

9 Responses to “The Last Fight: An Open Letter To Rick Rypien”
  1. Deceptiquan says:

couldn’t have said any better, well done my friend.

R.I.P Ripper

2. Brenda says:

Still feeling shocked …he will be missed.

3. Listercat says:

Well said !! A tribute to one of the “guys in the trenches”. Ripper may not have had the pure talent of some, but no one had more heart and no one had more respect.

4. Canadagraphs says:

I wrote probably a 10-15 paragraph blog on him today myself…but even with your smaller selection of words, you might have said as much, or more than I did. Thanks.
    RIP Rick

5. Philip Yoe says:

Very well said Justine.

6. ana patricia says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. He will always be a Canuck. Rest in peace Rick

7. Melissa W. says:

I am going to dedicate my Sunday Salon post this coming week to Rick and those of us who suffer from mental disease, whether it be anxiety, depression, etc.

8. peanutflower says:

Nicely done. But I sort of take issue with the “moderately talented”. I think Ripper was pigeonholed into the fighter category. If you youtube his goals, he had some pretty fine ones. He was a fast skater, had good hands, good passer. But unfortunately all that was overshadowed by his role as enforcer — was that even his role? One has to wonder if he had been allowed to play or asked to play without feeling like he had to take care of the whole team what he might have achieved as a pure hockey player. Nevertheless, one can’t argue that the guy had heart. He will be sorely missed. I was looking forward to him lighting up Lapierre this season, because you know that just had to happen!

9. Sheryl Harry says:

Just read this again today. It is so well written. You have put my feelings into words, and I thank you for this. I was rooting for him like nobody’s business. I will miss him so much. Take care, everyone.