Coming Live To A Computer Near You: Canucks Launch Live Streaming

Can’t get to a TV for the Canucks game? If you have a computer handy, you’re in BC and the game is on Sportsnet, you’ll be able to watch the new live stream at Canucks.com.

After a couple of recent test runs the Canucks will be airing all remaining Rogers Sportsnet broadcast for free on Canucks.com, with no registration required. The only requirements are a computer and bandwidth to handle the streaming video, and an IP address located in British Columbia.

Live Streamed Canucks Games

“Streaming live games on Canucks.com has been a priority for our organization. We have successfully worked through the many logistics and are fortunate to have a great partner in Rogers Sportsnet.”, said Victor De Bonis, CEO of Canucks Sports & Entertainment. “As an organization we are committed to investing in digital media and we will continue to explore the different ways we can engage our loyal fans.”

The technology makes use of the NHL Game Center interface and from the sample I’ve seen, it  provides excellent picture quality. There are also live stats available in the form of widgets. There is an additional plug-in to install if you want the advanced features such as rewind etc.

The folks at Canucks have been working hard on this project for a couple of years now, and are one of the first, if not the first team in the league to offer live streaming of their games.

Check it out for the next Rogers Sportsnet Canucks telecast!

[tweetmeme]

Be social and share!
Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on Facebook25Google+0share on TumblrShare on LinkedIn0Share on StumbleUpon0Share on Reddit0Email to someonePrint this page

Comments

1. Mbergh says

thats not fair to the surrounding areas who cant get canuck games I live in ferndale washington and cannot pick up games I wish you could offer it to us!

• Robert Wm Thompson says

Hi, I’m out of BC for the winter (Mexico) and miss the Canucks! I’ve been trying to figure out how to get an ip address in BC and set it as a proxy so I can stream some games. I don’t want the whole centre-ice package, just want the Canucks!

Can you help me out, I’m not totally computer illiterate but this is kinda out-there for me.

2. Rob says

For a second there, I almost demanded a refund on my GameCenter package. Looks like it’s only for residents of BC though.

3. says

I test ran this baby during the game tonight – The wife has Tuesday night dibs on Lost, so this was the only way I’d get to catch the third period live. First, I had to install Firefox on my MacBook (Safari is not supported) but after that it worked like a charm Shaw’s speed isn’t the best, but the website gives three choices for image quality. The 800×500 resolution still looked good on full screen mode on my laptop.

It’s hard to imagine a hockey fan NOT running this, even as a background app, for the remaining Sportsnet broadcasts.

4. Randomjames says

Great news everyone! I’ve been watching Canucks games live steaming all season since I don’t have cable. I’ve been using the, um, bootleg services around the web so it’s nice to have an official option.

Compared to the CTV streaming of the Olympic games (which was amazing quality!) I found the broadcast last night to be a bit choppy so hopefully they’ll find a way to tune it a bit in the future.

This is good since CBC and TSN already stream their games and now Sportsnet streams so that’s pretty much every network the ‘nucks are on. We’re witnessing a revolution in televsion broadcasting my friends!

5. says

Thank you all for your participation, you may all disconnect
    and have a wonderful day. Arvizu said that critics of solar lamps energy.
    solar lamps energy made up 9 percent of all U.
    Now, does that change in the latter part of the Government’s Low Carbon Industrial Strategy and Carbon Reduction Strategy for Transport.

6. says

Hey there! Quick question that’s completely off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My blog looks weird when viewing from my iphone 4. I’m trying to find a theme
    or plugin that might be able to correct this issue.

If you have any suggestions, please share. With thanks!